Tuesday, June 17, 2014

June Favorites!

I don't know about you guys, but when summer rolls around, the last thing I want to do is wear makeup. With my oily skin, even eye shadow slides off within the first few hours of application. And since the only place I have to be is the mall, fashion tends to fall by the wayside, too.
    My summers are filled with skin care, yoga, and meditation to prep my mind and soul for the upcoming stress of school. Below is a list of some of the things that I've used for that this month:

 1. Rose salve

 
This little thing is a miracle worker.You can use it on your lips, hands, cuticles, elbows--anywhere that you feel dry. It smells amazing (like roses) and it kinda feels like a non-greasy, rose scented Vaseline that absorbs really quickly. I always keep this in my purse for whenever I forget my lip balm ^^

2. Jojoba oil



This is one of those things that I found in my mom's bathroom and tried out of curiosity. We all know the sun can really dry out the skin, and jojoba oil is great for treating my poor sun-bitten cheeks. I just pat this on after washing my face and before using lotion. It also acts as an anti-aging serum (bonus!)

3. Green tea bath

(I am sorry I don't have a picture for this one. Imagine me squinting at you, my face and body hidden by the wall of a bathtub.)

It might sound a little strange, but popping a green tea bag into your bathwater can help tone and firm the skin, and it helps slow down oil production that can be crazy during the summer. I find it very relaxing as well, but that's probably because I know I'm treating myself ;D

4. Twining's Cold Brewed green tea with mint

 Speaking of green tea, my friend recently got this for me, and it is a godsend. Because you can brew it cold, I don't have to waste extra time waiting for it to brew in the hot water while I could be focusing my attention on more important things, like more skin care. I can just pop it in a glass of ice water, and my cool refreshing treat is ready to enjoy.

5. Tazo's Zen tea

Twining's cold brewed is great for convenience and relief from the heat, but it is the last thing I would grab if I'm looking for taste. Even when brewed for half an hour, it still tastes very watery and bland. Tazo's Zen tea was introduced to me by one of my best friends, and I fell in love with the smooth taste and sophisticated flavor. When the temperature falls into the eighties, or when I'm all out of the cold brewed, this is my go-to green tea.

6. Hibiscus tea

Also introduced to me by this lovely lady, this hibiscus tea is perfect for when I'm craving a citrusy, sweet tea. Hibiscus can also help with menstrual pain too, and if you know me, you know all about my experience with cramps (it was too painful for me to be embarrassed. I hold nothing back when discussing it). The severity has been lowered greatly by birth control (from vomiting until I became dehydrated to maybe feeling kind of icky), but when the cramps crop up, this is the first thing I reach for.

7. Morning yoga video


So as most of you know, I'm addicted to yoga. I do this routine every morning after these poses and this routine, and then I spend an hour or so looking up cheap yoga clothes online. Yoga has become an important part of my morning routine, and it really helps to make me feel more awake and alert, and it reminds me to look inward and be mindful throughout my day.

8. Night yoga video

I don't do this routine every night (yet--it's only a matter of time before my day becomes 90% yoga), but it's great for anxiety or to just kick off your night routine. I tend to do this pose at about 10 or 11pm, right before my night routine (which usually lasts about an hour and a half). People have complained that it's too fast-paced for night time, but it's perfect for when I'm fidgety or not quite ready to fall asleep.

9. Honey Help YourSelf podcast

I'm always looking for podcasts about positivity and personal growth and all that jazz, and this one is my favorite that I've found so far. It's kind of like a self-help sorta podcast that kind of makes you reflect on your life and realize the changes you may need to make. The writer (Kriste Peoples) is very charismatic, and her voice is very soothing. You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes here.


So those were all my favorites for the month of June. I'm thinking about making this a monthly thing, so I'd have a reason to update this blog at least once a month (although I'm not sure I like enough things for that to happen). Let me know what you think! ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment